You brush your teeth twice daily, at least that is what the dentist recommends. However you do not know what toxins come in contact with your teeth from toothpaste. A good number of toothpaste on the market contains a few harmful ingredients and a daily dollop of toothpaste might be insignificant but overtime, it adds up to cause harm.

Here are a few toxic ingredients to lookout for in toothpaste.


sodium lauryl sulfate is a cheap forming agent used in detergents, dish-washing liquid and most especially toothpaste. Sodium lauryl sulfate can cause skin irritation and can aggravate ulcers.. People suffering from mouth ulcers are at risk as this can worsen the symptoms. Sodium lauryl sulfate can also cause canker sores, stomach issues and cancer.


In 2016, the American Food and Drug agency banned triclosan from soaps. However, it is still allowed in toothpaste.
Triclosan is a pesticide that is touted as an antibacterial agent in toothpaste and allegedly fights plaque and gingivitis. Triclosan is however associated with cancer, weakened heart muscle function, endocrine issues and bone deformation.


Artificial sweeteners like saccharin and aspartame are also bad ingredients .
Saccharine is a petroleum based sugar substitute. It is lab produced sugar made from crude oil. Saccharine is commonly used in diet foods, soft drinks, lip balm and toothpaste. It is approximately 350 times sweeter than regular sugar and was linked to cancer in a few clinical studies in the 1970s.
Aspartame is a sugar substitute and arguably the most common one. Aspartame is about 200 times sweeter than sugar and it is favored because it keeps the calories in food and drinks relatively low.
When ingested in the body, it metabolizes in the body to form methanol; a poisonous wood alcohol. The methanol is then quickly absorbed and converted by the body into formaldehyde; an extremely dangerous compound that can cause severe damage to your tissues. Possible side effects of aspartame include:
• Migraines
• Heart palpitations
• Nausea
• Joints pain
• Vertigo
• Insomnia
• Fever
• Memory loss
• Gastrointestinal issues, etc


Parabens are a cheap preservative used to increase the shelf life of cosmetic products. They prevent growth of bacteria and mold in such products. They perform the same function for toothpaste. Studies have linked overexposure to parabens in humans with breast cancer, developmental and reproductive issues as well.

. . .

Article credit : Cocci Beauty